FunkyCrap originated in a tiny 638 square foot studio apartment in Miami Lakes, Florida in 2010. This was around the same time that shows like American Pickers and Flea Market Flip were the hottest things on TV. Like many others, we (along with my husband, Jason) got caught up in the excitement and decided we wanted in!
After finding a pair of vintage JNCO skater jeans that brought back memories of our middle school days, we were hooked.The feeling that we got when we found these was equal parts amazement and wonder, and sprinkled with a healthy dose of "holy crap!" We quickly learned that there is a mix of excitement and anticipation in the search for unique, fun, and classic clothing, and a huge adrenaline rush when we come across something that we think is cool and fun. Focusing on fun, we chose the name FunkyCrap for our company. We wanted to come up with a name that was unique and unforgettable, and we think we did just that!
Our treasure hunting for fun fashion finds helps the environment as well. We believe in sustainable living, and giving new life and purpose to clothing, rather than tossing them in the trash. The average American will throw out 81 pounds of clothing this year. That turns into 26 billion pounds of textiles and clothes that end up in landfills. If nothing changes, the number is expected to hit 35.4 billion pounds by 2019. Clothes can take up to 40 years to decompose and shoes can take even longer; up to 1,000 years! Just thinking of those JNCO skater jeans living in a landfill for 40 years breaks my heart. That’s why buying rediscovered fashion is an awesome way to help save the planet, and look stylish doing it!
Silly name, serious fashion...
Through FunkyCrap, we want to give you the opportunity to explore our store, and feel the same excitement and adrenaline that we do when you come across a must have piece! We are constantly on the search for exciting fashion, and we are adding to our store every day to provide you with a unique shopping experience.
Fun facts about us, written by Andrea!
- Jason is allergic to chocolate. Chocolate is a food group to me. Figuring out a dessert we can share is not nearly as fun as you would think!
- We have two soft-coated wheaten terriers, Bailey and Jaxson, who are the same breed, but have completely opposite personalities. Bailey, our 10 year old, is more mellow and definitely beats to his own drum. Jaxson is the wild child at 3, who is also a genius. If there were a Harvard for dogs, he would be valedictorian. (He would also be expelled within the first semester, but we'll save that for a blog post!)
- I went to the University of Florida (Go Gators!) and Jason went to the University of Miami (Go 'Canes!) Football season can get a tad intense.
- When we are working on the website, we usually have Adult Swim on in the background. We have a routine that includes a lot of Family Guy, Bob’s Burgers, and Rick and Morty.
- There are black bears in Orlando. Most native central Floridians are probably aware of this, but we were not, until a rather large one was hanging around our cars!